Ants In Chapin: A Handy Guide To Identification, Prevention, And Control
Ants can be a year-round problem in South Carolina, but they are especially problematic during the spring and summer months. Once these ants move their extremely large colonies into your home, it can be challenging to get rid of them on your own. This is why having an experienced Chapin pest control company at your disposal is so important. At The Original Bugman Pest Elimination, Inc., we have been battling these pesky insects for years and know the best way to keep your home ant-free.
How To Identify Common Types Of Ants
Many people mistakenly think that all ants are the same. The truth is that there are actually over 15,000 different species of ants in the world. While many of these species look the same, they have different habits and behaviors that help to make them unique.
Here is a look at how to identify the many types of ants that you are likely to see around your Chapin home:
- Fire Ants: Even though red imported fire ants are not native to this area, they are a common type of fire ant found in Chapin. They have reddish-brown bodies and usually build large colonies outdoors.
- Carpenter Ants: These ants are some of the largest ants in this area and can measure almost an inch long. Their bodies are a dark brown or black color but can also be red and black as well.
- Argentine Ants: These dark brown to black ants are small, growing between 1/16 to 1/4 of an inch long, but they are known for their large colonies and multiple queens.
- Pavement Ants: These types of ants usually have small dark-brown or black bodies. They build their nest in between cracks and gaps that can be found on sidewalks and other paved surfaces.
Most of the ants in Chapin are not aggressive. However, both the fire ant and the carpenter ant will become aggressive if you disturb their nests. The carpenter ant is only able to bite, but the fire ant will deliver painful stings.
The Issues Ant Infestations Create In Homes
Even though ants are small, some species are known to be destructive. Carpenter ants, for example, will chew through the wooden surfaces around your home. They will continue excavating the wood to create a hollow space that is big enough for all of the colony's members to live in, eventually making the object brittle and structurally unsound.
Throughout their lives, ants will pick up a wide range of harmful diseases and pathogens, which they can pass onto you if they are able to crawl over or near your food. Some of the most common illnesses people can catch from ants include salmonellosis and E. coli infections.
Five Naturally Effective Ant Prevention Tips
Some of the things that you can do to prevent ants in your home include:
- Keep your yard clutter-free and well-maintained.
- Keep your food properly stored in sealed containers.
- Remove any moist or rotted wood from your property.
- Fix any leaky pipes or other things that could be causing moisture problems.
- Empty your trash cans regularly.
Ants are able to sneak into your home by using the tiny cracks and crevices found around the exterior walls of your house. Inspect your home and seal up any potential entrances you find if you want to keep ants out of your home.
Contact The Professionals About Total Ant Control for Your Home
Nobody wants to see ants around their property. If you have been struggling to keep ants out of your home and away from your Chapin yard, give us a call today. At The Original Bugman Pest Elimination, Inc., we specialize in various types of home pest control solutions.