How To Get Rid Of Roaches In South Carolina
Cockroaches can be very difficult to kill. German cockroaches and brown-banded cockroaches cannot survive very well outside homes but are hard to remove. Larger cockroaches, American, smoky brown, and Oriental cockroaches, generally live outside. They will come into a home, however. Cockroaches are generally brown, although some have other colors on them. Oriental cockroaches can be jet black. Cockroaches are very flat and vary in size from ½ inch to 2 inches in length. While all the species listed here have wings, only smokey brown cockroaches can fly. The rest will glide off a counter to the ground or flap their wings to go short distances.
Cockroach Fun Facts
Everyone jokes that only cockroaches will survive a nuclear attack. While that isn’t true, they can survive 10 times more radiation than a human. Here are some other fun facts.
- Cockroaches can live up to three months without food and up to a month without water.
- Cockroaches can live up to a week without a head.
- Cockroaches put down chemical trails that show other roaches where to go for food, water, and shelter.
- Cockroaches can hold their breath for 40 minutes and survive underwater for 30 minutes.
- Cockroaches can run three miles in an hour.
Cockroaches In The House
Cockroaches come into clean homes as well as dirty ones. Cockroaches are very flat and can turn their feet sideways to get through tiny cracks to enter homes. Once in your home, they hide in cracks under kitchen and bathroom sinks, under, behind, and in the stove or refrigerator, or in other places where it is dark, warm, and close to food. They come out at night to forage. Roaches reproduce rapidly so once you have them inside, the problem will get worse quickly.
Not A DIY Project
As mentioned above, cockroaches, especially German cockroaches, are very hard to kill. They cram themselves so tightly in cracks that pesticides from things like bug bombs cannot reach them. In addition, over-the-counter pesticides can endanger your family and pets if not used properly. Even if used properly, they often fail to solve an entire cockroach problem. While bait products can help, they have to be placed in the right places so the cockroaches will sample them.
Get Professional Help
Don’t risk your family’s health and your sanity by going this alone. Contact The Original Bugman Pest Elimination Inc. to help. We will come and give you a free inspection inside and out. Once we see where the cockroaches are and what species they are, we will develop an individual plan to treat your cockroach problem. Once the cockroaches are gone, we will return quarterly to re-treat the outside of your home, so they don’t come back.
Once the cockroaches are gone, you want them to stay gone. While The Original Bugman Pest Elimination Inc. will come out quarterly, there are some things you can do to keep the cockroaches from returning.
- Seal all cracks and crevasses in the foundation and outer walls.
- Seal around pipes, electrical wires, and cables where they enter your home.
- Make sure you check plants and food as it enters your home to make sure cockroaches are not hitchhiking on them.
- Repair or replace window screens that have holes in them.
- Put food into roach-proof containers.
- Make sure your kitchen trash can has a well-fitting lid.
- Take your trash out regularly and put it in an outdoor trash can with a well-fitting lid.
- Remove clutter as it gives roaches places to hide.
Cockroaches are a big problem. Get rid of your cockroaches by calling The Original Bugman Pest Elimination Inc. today.