Tips For Pet-Safe Bug Removal

3/21/2018


From fleas to cockroaches, pests can easily infiltrate a home within days. Regardless of how clean you keep your home, these pests can quickly proliferate, making your home an uncomfortable place to be in. If you have pets, however, you may be wondering whether or not a pest control service is safe. Luckily, the answer is yes. Here are some tips to ensure pet-safe pest control services.

Let Your Exterminator Know About Your Pets
Many exterminators have specific services that are designed for homes that contain pets. There are poisons that can be laid in areas inaccessible to pets as well as poisons that aren't harmful to larger animals but can still get rid of bugs. Exterminators need to know about your pets not only so they use the appropriate chemicals but also so they don't accidentally let them out or startle them.

Keep Your Pets Away While the Exterminator Is Spraying
Keep your pet in a kennel somewhere while the pest control service is being performed. Your pest control expert will be able to avoid the area that your pet is currently in and your pet will be kept away from poisons and sprays while still wet.

However, when treating severe infestations like bedbugs or fleas, it may be necessary for the exterminator to use gasses or more significant poisons. In that scenario, it's necessary to take your animal out of the home. Your exterminator can advise.

Don't Forget Birds and Fish
Birds, fish, or reptiles require further preparation for pest control services. Their tanks or cages will need to be completely covered to make sure that none of the poison enters. Most of these animals should be safe if they are completely covered during the services, but you may want to inquire with your veterinarian as well. Your vet can tell you about the risk factors for your specific species of animal.

Remove Any Toys or Chews
Before the pest control services take place, remember to remove any toys, chews, and pet bedding from around your home. These are things that your pet is going to come in contact with frequently, so if these items are exposed to poison, your pet could possibly ingest that poison over time. You can place these items in a trash bag and then put them back out once the extermination has been completed. Don't forget any food dishes or water dishes that are out. Even if they are empty at the time, poison residue can still remain and harm your animals.

Keep Pets Off of the Lawn
Pets should usually be kept away from the lawn for at least a few hours following pesticide use and up to 24 hours if the pesticide used was a granular one. Granular pesticides generally need to break down and be absorbed before pets can be safe on the lawn. Otherwise, your pets can get large doses of the pesticide stuck to them.

You will need to monitor your pet outside if your pest control specialist installed any bait stations, such as gopher bait stations, buried in the yard. These bait stations can be attractive to pets and they might try to dig them up and eat them. Pets may also try to eat poisoned animals. For example, if the exterminator sprayed for mice, these mice may become poisonous to your pets. This is especially risky for smaller animals, such as small dogs and cats.

If you're still worried about your pets, you can contact your pest control service for further instructions. Contact us at The Original Bugman Pest Elimination, Inc., to find out about our pet-friendly pest services.




 

Schedule Your Free Inspection

Complete the form below to schedule your no obligation inspection.

For Expedited Service Call (803) 573-4623

 

Residential Services