Why Ants Invade South Carolina Homes And How To Keep Them Out
Ants: Annoying Nuisances That Sting
Here in South Carolina, this acronym is more poignant than ever! Common area ants in our neck of the woods are incredibly varied and surprisingly unique. Some ant species are dangerous, some ants are only nuisances, and just about all of them are hard to get out of a house once they have entered. A few of the more identifiable ant species in South Carolina are:
- The Little Black Ant
- The Argentine Ant
- The Red Imported Fire Ant
- The Pavement Ant
- The Black Carpenter Ant
The dangers of these ant species range from upsetting to distracting to downright destructive. As you can imagine, prevention steps are critical for keeping ants out of your South Carolina house.
How Ants Get Into Your South Carolina Home (And What To Do About It)
There are many ways that ants can gain access to your South Carolina home. Due to their small sizes, insects can break in by using:
- Cracks and gaps in the home’s foundation
- Spaces between window frames
- Gaps underneath door sweeps
- Hitching rides on houseplants
There are a few ways to remedy an ant migration problem stemming from exploited entry points. Adhere to the following points to cut down on their numbers significantly:
- Check screens and door sweeps for signs of damage. Repair any wood rot or cracking with a waterproof sealant.
- Close up gaps in the structure using high-quality caulking. Be sure to regularly check for fissures in the foundations of the home.
- Look for signs of damage around piping and wiring fixtures. If you notice anything out of place, contact a local repair professional for further assistance.
Ants choose to infiltrate homes for many reasons, although none of them are necessarily personal in nature. These insects think in a ‘hive mind,’ or choose a course of action based on what would be best for their colony. Because of this, ants may choose to infest your home due to:
High amounts of water or air moisture in certain rooms (think bathrooms and kitchens)
A large presence of food or food waste available for ant consumption
Rotten or exposed wood structures that could make for a comfortable colony home
Remedy these attractant factors using the tips listed below:
- Store food and trash items in properly sealed bins with plastic bags. Keep raw ingredients sealed up in strong plastic or glass containers.
- Promptly clean up any food smears or sugary drink spills. Regularly sweeping, mopping, and vacuuming may go a long way towards protecting your home from infiltration.
- Regularly deep clean the areas of your home that are less considered. Think about wiping out the inside of cupboards, or sweeping underneath heavy appliances such as refrigerators.
For more ant control tricks and tips, schedule a complimentary home inspection from The Original Bugman Pest Elimination, Inc today.
Professional Ant Problems Require Professional Ant Solutions
While DIY (do it yourself) steps and other household remedies are a great first step towards maintaining a pest-free home, no ant control is complete without professional assistance. For a form of year-round ant control that cannot be beaten, contact The Original Bugman Pest Elimination, Inc at your earliest convenience.
Here in the heart of South Carolina, The Original Bugman Pest Elimination, Inc knows what it means to deliver nothing but the best. Over 5,000 homes in The Palmetto State trust our crew to develop fantastic results in fantastic ways for every need and niche. Entrust your ant control issues to our reliable team when you call, text, or visit with the folks at The Original Bugman Pest Elimination, Inc now!