Fruit Flies? How To Get Rid Of These Tiny Pests
Fruit flies are tiny pests that have no regard for personal space. They fly over your food (sometimes in it), around your face and anywhere they want to. These pests are harmless, but they are quite a nuisance if you see them flying in your house all the time.
Get rid of these bugs and take your home (and food) back. See below for some helpful information about fruit flies and how to get rid of them.
Where Do They Come From?
Fruit flies like fruit, but that's not all they're attracted to.
- Produce. Fruit flies like fruits and vegetables, and they could be feeding off of anything you have sitting out.
- House plants. House plants are also a great place for fruit flies to nest and eat. The soil is moist, and the plants can be used for food.
- Sewer drains. Fruit flies can also nest inside your drains. They will make nests alongside clogs or hair stuck in your drains.
Fruit flies may seem like they appear out of thin air, but they may be building nests in your home right now and laying their eggs. Take care of the problem to prevent them from taking over.
How to Control Fruit Flies
Fruit flies can be controlled with some do-it-yourself pest control; however, if you have a big problem with flies and these pests, you could have an infestation in your home. Call Bugman Pest Elimination, Inc. for help controlling these annoying flying pests. To get control of these pests follow the steps below.
- Toss all fruits or vegetables that are old, moldy or soft that are sitting out on your counters. If you have fresh product that you just purchased, wash it thoroughly, then place it in your refrigerator until you have the bug problem solved. The old fruits/vegetables you tossed should be bagged and removed completely from your home - don't allow it to sit in your garbage for days.
- Take house plants outside until you are free of fruit flies, or you can try to spray the plants using a bug spray to kill these pests. For a more natural approach to kill these pests, you can use apple cider vinegar, a drop of dish soap and water inside a glass jar or container. Place the container near the plant or inside the plant. It will attract the bugs and kill them. Remove the jar and replace it with fresh ingredients after a few days.
- Use fly tape around your home to trap the pests you can see flying around, especially in bathrooms or in the kitchen where you may have seen a lot of these bugs.
- To kill the flies that are nesting in the drains around your home, there are a few things you can do. Pour about a gallon of boiling water down the drain to kill the bugs and to remove anything clogged in the drain. You can also use bleach down the drain - pour it slowly around the sides of the drain, where they are usually located. Use a commercial drain clearing cleaner down your drain to remove anything inside the drain. Be sure that whichever method you choose, you do this in all of the drains in your home.
Fruit flies can be controlled, but you'll have to be careful around your home until you are rid of these pesky bugs. Control these flies by taking some precautions around your home. Don't leave food out to feed these pests, and kill any bugs that you see. If you're still having issues with these tiny flies, contact Bugman Pest Elimination, Inc., for help!