When Will Mosquitoes Return To South Carolina?
Mosquitoes will be buzzing again soon in South Carolina. The extended warm weather that draws people to our area also extends the mosquito season. Depending on the year and the weather conditions, mosquitoes can begin appearing as early as March and last into October, being most active through the summer months. There is nothing worse than biting mosquitoes ruining your summer fun. Be proactive in reducing these pesky critters so you can enjoy your yard this spring and summer.
Prevention Steps to Take Now
There are several steps you can take to prevent mosquitoes now before they become a problem on your South Carolina property.
- Trim back brush and keep landscaping pruned to reduce mosquito landing spots.
- Clean gutters and downspouts to ensure proper drainage.
- Perform maintenance on sprinkler systems to be sure they are in good working order and not creating excess moisture and pooling.
- Keep an eye on ponds, small pools, and water features. Drain and clean if mosquito eggs or larvae are present.
- Eliminate standing water as much as possible including in children’s toys, play sets, bird baths, and old tires.
- Check hoses and spigots to make sure they aren’t leaking.
- Use pool covers that drain water, or take off pool covers before mosquitoes can hatch, and don’t let water collect on tarps.
- Plant grasses and plants that repel mosquitoes like catnip, lemongrass, lavender, and citronella.
- Store gardening supplies like wheelbarrows and buckets upside down so as to not collect water.
- Mow your lawn frequently and keep it trimmed short.
Why Call a Professional
Even when you take preventative measures in early spring, you can’t entirely keep mosquitoes away from your property. It’s impossible to control all the conditions that lead to mosquitoes breeding. Mosquitoes also fly from your neighbors’ yards and surrounding areas, especially if your neighbors do not have mosquito prevention.
One thing you can do to help control mosquitoes is getting professional pest control. At The Original Bugman Pest Elimination, Inc. we use efficient pesticides and the latest equipment to reduce mosquitoes on your South Carolina property. We perform treatments during the active mosquito season from April to October and can also do one-time treatments for special events. Call us today to get started with a quality treatment plan to keep mosquitoes under control in your yard this spring and summer!